Among the many technological, organizational, and managerial problems facing manufacturers as they transition to the digital model of doing business, one challenge that has all the markings of an issue that will become more pronounced over time is the growing wave of data that is inundating companies. With now near-ubiquitous connectivity and more instruments in place for generating data from both physical objects and people, today’s manufacturing enterprise is hard at work to not only hold back the flood but also to manage its flow in ways that will benefit the business.
This is no easy task as the data volumes grow. A recent MLC survey has revealed the dimensions of the problem. When asked how well prepared their companies are to organize, evaluate, and make decisions on the volumes of data that are or will be generated from greater connectivity of devices and equipment, only 9% of survey respondents indicated that their organizations were well prepared today. Another 44% said moderately prepared and 39% said poorly prepared.
Figuring out how to manage and leverage data may very well be the chief challenge of our digital age. We asked for more information. Now, we are going to have to figure out what to do with it.
This MLC “Critical Issues” virtual session will explore:
- How best to understand and exploit the economic value of data?
- What technologies can help improve the data management process and prevent decision-making disruption?
- What strategies Merck, a major pharmaceutical company, has put in place to manage its data for better decision making and competitive advantage?
Each panelist will have about 10 minutes for their presentation. Panelists are encouraged to use a slide deck — 16:9 Powerpoint widescreen — for their presentation. After the presentations, the session will be opened to allow MLC members to comment and ask questions.
The session will be recorded and archived in the Council member section of the MLC website.
•David R. Brousell, Co-Founder of MLC
- Bill Schmarzo, Chief Technology Officer, IoT and Analytics, Hitachi Vantara
- Mouwafac Sidaoui, Department Chair and Professor of Business Analytics and Information Systems, University of San Francisco
- Michele C. D’Alessandro, Vice President and Chief Information Officer, Manufacturing IT, Merck & Co., Inc., and Member, Manufacturing Leadership Council Board of Governors
- Tom Leeson, Industry Strategist, Manufacturing and Supply Chain, Opentext, and Member, Manufacturing Leadership Council
Discover proven solutions to common challenges
Discuss the challenges and discover the solutions that led to meaningful success stories.
Expand your thinking
Open your mind to new processes or practices you
can put in place to achieve greater operational excellence and efficiency.
Benchmark your performance
Benchmark your factory’s performance against other members success stories.
Bring back new ideas
Walk away with new ideas you can bring back to your company and implement faster.